During the Summer of 2018 I enjoyed teaching a learn to row class at Sagamore Rowing in Oyster Bay, NY. I prepared a handout for each class with the lesson for the day. During the summer, the class ran for three weeks at a time and we met up each Tuesday and Thursday evening.
Below is an outline of what we worked on and each day links to a handout:
- Day 1: Safety, Carrying Equipment, Getting Into/Out of the Shell, Holding the Handles, Comfort in the Boat, Basic Technique
- Day 2: Release, Steering and Stopping
- Day 3: Recovery, Relaxing the Hands, and Backing
- Day 4: Entry, Letting the Blade Float, and Spinning the Shell (backing and rowing)
- Day 5: Drive, Level Hands, and the Two Ways to Steer
- Day 6: Rhythm, Swing from the Hips, and When to Look Ahead
I hope this info can be helpful to anyone who is learning to row or scull. Sculling is a wonderful pursuit and is always an adventure!