The Three Pause Drill is a drill that I learned from Jim Joy. The purpose of this drill is to break down the parts of the recovery and the entry to gain a better understanding of how to let the blades meet the water efficiently.
- Start by sitting at the release, blades square in the water.
- Release the blade from the water, then slide up the full slide and pause with the blades feathered on the water.
- Then square the blades into the water and again pause.
- Then take a full stroke to the release and release the blade onto the feather.
- Let the boat glide, then bring the boat to a stop and reset.
- Do the drill again.